Recently, I was trying to get a .Net 2.0 web application I am working on, running from IIS 7 under my Vista Ultimate workstation so it could be remotely debugged. I went and changed the appropriate project settings, but when ran the web app, it said:
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
web server. Debugging failed because integrated Windows authentication
is not enabled.
After some poking arround in IIS 7, which I am quite unfamiliar with, I found a very easy solution.
- Right-click on “My Computer” and select “Manage”
- Under “Services and Appliccations” select “Internet Information Services”
- Find the appropriate website (probably called “Default Web Site”)
- Find the icon named “Authentication” and double-click it.
- Make sure “Windows Authentication” is in the list, and enable it.
Your Visual Studio should now works as advertised.