Sometimes I wish I was a super-hero with the ultimate power of persuasion. Because then I could call up world leaders and convince them to do things my way (because clearly my way is better)!
On a less narcissistic note, I was thinking about the things I would do to shape the world in my own image – and realised that you can tell a lot about a person about the things they don’t like about the world (or the lack thereof). To that end, I’ve created a list of the top 10 things I would change:
- Make it illegal to charge ANYONE (parents, insurance companies, anyone) for medical care given to children (people under 18).
- Rename “marriages” to “civil unions” for everyone (gays, hetros, lesbians) – and make the churches responsible for the “marriages”. If you want to be joined by law – get a civil union, if you want a marriage, goto a church.
- Allow stem-cell research, but with strict oversight.
- Roll-out fibre to the home for all residences in Australia.
- Tax high-pollution industries and use that Tax to give a rebate for deploying solar power to every household in Australia.
- Revoke Scientology’s tax free status.
- Pass laws to give woman the right to choose what happens to their own bodies (surrogacy, abortion etc).
- Pass laws to protect Doctors and create a proper due-process for people to choose to end their own lives.
- Eliminate years 11 and 12 – either pick a trade and work as an apprentice for 5 years, or study in academia for an additional 2 years in your chosen field.
- Create a “guild” system of government. Several elected officials, with the cabinet of the elected party made up of the people chosen to best represent that industry or sector – so instead of “climate change minister” in cabinet (for example) – it would be a person considered by his peers to be the best climatologist in science – and for these leaders to be separate from political affiliation (too many times we’ve had ministers filling port-folio’s they didn’t have the knowledge or skills to manage).